Responsive Program Resident 2008 and 2013/14
Australian artist Meryl Tankard has forged a stellar international career as a director and choreographer. She has created work for the main stages of Australia, Europe, Japan, UK and USA. Meryl’s early career was spent in Europe performing with the renowned Pina Bausch Wuppertal Dance Theatre. Her return to Australia in the 1980’s saw an out flow of unforgettable works that transcended the boundaries of dance, theatre and visual art. As Artistic Director of Australian Dance Theatre for six years her unique creative style saw the company rise to international acclaim. More recently Meryl has focused on film and screen culture as a medium for expressing her artistic vision and drive.
What’s happening in 2016
1) Directed “Michelle’s Story”, 30 min documentary, (commissioned by Adelaide Film Festival 2015 and ABC TV ) Awarded Audience Choice for Best Short at Adelaide Film Festival. Screened at Flicker Fest in January ABC TV broadcast Arts program on 22 March.
2) Performing in Sydney Biennale April 10th.
3) Performing in Pina Bausch Retrospective in Bonn, Germany in May.
4) Directing/choreographing music-theatre production at WAAPA July/August, Perth.
5) Developing MAD, feature length documentary inspired by the poems and writings of Sandy Jeffs.